Finnish conductor Sasha Mäkilä is gaining recognition as one of the most prominent rising talents of his generation in both operatic and symphonic fields. Since 2017 maestro Mäkilä is Artistic Director of the Helsinki Metropolitan Orchestra and Principal Guest Conductor of the Krasnoyarsk Symphony Orchestra. In a short period of time, Mäkilä has made a name for himself as a versatile artist with a broad repertoire ranging from baroque to contemporary. In maestro Mäkilä’s previous post as Music Director of St Michel Strings, he lifted the orchestra from near oblivion to national fame, taking them on international tours and music festivals and by inviting world-class soloists as well as introducing concert webcasts.
Sasha Mäkilä’s conducting career has taken him to four continents and to major ensembles, such as the Cleveland Orchestra and the Mariinsky Theatre. Mäkilä has performed at the Savonlinna Opera Festival, Gergiev Festival Mikkeli, Pyeongchang Music Festival (South Korea) and Nargenfestival (Estonia) and regularly collaborates with soloists such as Vadim Repin, Kyung-Wha Chung and Jian Wang. Mäkilä has conducted the world premieres of Free Will (2012, Savonlinna Opera Festival), Lovers of Mankind (2009, Musica Nova Helsinki), as well as Finnish premieres of Philip Glass’s chamber operas In the Penal Colony and Les Enfants Terribles.
Originally a cellist, Sasha Mäkilä studied conducting at the Sibelius Academy (Finland) and at the St. Petersburg State Conservatory (Russia). After completing a three-year tenure at Orchestre National de France as maestro Kurt Masur’s assistant he was nominated a Conducting Fellow at the American Academy of Conducting in Aspen. Mäkilä is a prizewinner of the Vakhtang Jordania International Conducting Competition (USA, 2006), and in 2013 the University of Helsinki presented him with the Pacius Award for his contributions to Finnish musical life.
SASHA MÄKILÄ MASTERCLASS 2020
10.-15.08.2020 in Pärnu, Estonia
I Active participant
The group of 10 students will be chosen to participate as active participants, whose working schedule includes:
– 15-20 minutes of daily rehearsals with Pärnu City Orchestra (11.-13.08.2020)
– conducting the Pärnu City Orchestra at the final concert of the masterclass (14. 08.2020)
– nightly group sessions and feedback after the concert (15.08.2020)
– the students are allowed to videotape the masterclass sessions.
Beethoven – Egmont Ouverture, Op. 84
Mozart – Concerto for flute and harp C Major, K.299
Brahms – Symphony No 2 in D Major, Op. 73
II Passive participant
You can also attend the masterclass as an auditor (passive participant).
III Payments and applying for participation
Participation fee options for the active participants:
1) Registration before Apr 10, 2020
– 1100 EUR. The sum does not include accommodation
– 1350 EUR. The sum includes accommodation for one in a 2-person room for the period of 9.-15.08.2020
2) Registration before May 10, 2020
– 1200 EUR. The sum does not include accommodation
– 1450 EUR. The sum includes accommodation for one in a 2-person room for the period of 9.-15.08.2020
3) Registration before June 10, 2020
– 1300 EUR. The sum does not include accommodation
– 1550 EUR. The sum includes accommodation for one in a 2-person room for the period of 9.-15.08.2020
Participation fee options for the passive participants
– 60 EUR a day for following the sessions
The prepayment of 200 EUR is obligatory for the active participants. The rest of the sum should be transferred to organisers’ bank account before the beginning of the masterclasses or paid on the first day of the sessions in Pärnu.
The deadline for applying as an active participant is June 10, 2020
For that please send the filled application form, professional CV and a portrait photo (at least 500 kB) to email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
We’ll reply with a confirmation letter after we’ve received your registration form. We’ll mail you whether you were included as an active participant by 19.06.2020 at the latest.
Active participants will receive an email with details for the prepayment which should be paid in 5 days. If it hasn’t been paid by that time, the organizer has the right to offer your place to another participant down the list.
Please note: The prepayments will not be refunded (unless the masterclass doesn’t take place).
Please fill the registration form HERE